BEMAS organises the Award for Technical Team of the Year to honour technical teams that provide great added value for their company thanks to their achievements and approach in the field of maintenance and management of technical assets.
Everything starts with a good basis. The same goes for maintenance and asset management. Optimal maintenance management starts with strong, well thought-out best practices, which can only be achieved by constant improvement and collaboration by an excellent technical team. Organisations that have taken a major step forward in the applied maintenance and asset management practices are given the opportunity to put their colleagues in the spotlight as Technical Team of the Year. In principle, all types of technical services are eligible, i.e. both maintenance services that work internally at an asset owner, as well as service providing technical services that are active at customers.
Next edition in 2023
Enter the contest for the Award of Technical Team of the Year, by filling out the online survey. You have a chance to win a fantastic prize and put your company in the spotlight for one day long.
All types of organisations that operate in an asset-intensive environment: maintenance services, project teams or asset management organisations in the industry or infrastructure world.
Technical service providers can also take part in the competitions for the awards.
- Show that you are proud of the achievements of your organisation and the employees in your team.
- Increase the image of your technical department and/or your team and company.
- Improve the commitment and pride of your employees.
- Discover additional opportunities for improvement through interaction with the jury.
- Give a nice incentive to your technical team (see below).
- Limited amount of time to help you and your company move forward.
What can you win?
- A trophy for the winner and a certificate for the finalists.
- An incentive worth € 500, which you can use to pamper your winning team. The incentive will be decided by mutual agreement. This can range from T-shirts, over a drink or dinner, to gift vouchers that can be freely spent.
- Broad and positive media coverage in the trade press for you, your team, your company and the innovation or best practice that you apply.
- A fascinating and interesting networking dinner, together with the other finalists and the jury.
Hall of Fame
Award for Technical Team of the Year
Jury prize: Pfizer
The jury unanimously declared Pfizer the winner because their story is so complete. This case shows how important the technical department is to keeping manufacturing in Belgium. The technical department in Puurs has a very good track record, and that - in addition to a reliable network of suppliers - is also one of the reasons why production took place here." Moreover, at Pfizer we see a clear intertwining of engineering, production and maintenance.
Audience prize: DP World
At DP World, an industrial accident a few years ago was the trigger for reviewing the organisation of the department. In record time, they switched - in the middle of the corona crisis - from a reactive mode to a proactive maintenance organization. According to the jury, DP World brought an authentic and honest story. "What DP World has done is one of the most difficult things," the jury said. "We saw a tremendous turnaround in only 3 years. For many companies, this is a recognisable story: you're in a reactive mode and you're trying to get ahead.
Jury prize: Chaudfontaine
In the summer of 2021, the south of our country was hit by severe flooding. The factories Chaudfontaine - Coca-Cola Europacific Partners and Galler had to react quickly. Chaudfontaine was able to get production back on track quickly, thanks to solid planning and optimistic, motivated employees. In just 5 weeks, they were able to restart the 2 most important production lines, without losing sight of safety and quality. This feat was only possible thanks to the commitment of the staff and excellent crisis management, and illustrates the importance of close-knit maintenance teams that are able to react in the event of setbacks.
Audience prize: Galler
At Galler, 3,600 m² were flooded. Their technical department is an excellent example of Belgian resilience: they were able to temporarily transfer production to the Eeklo site and the company was able to react quickly by restoring its production machine in record time. Galler's commitment to the objectives of sustainable development, the general theme of the Maintenance Forum, is particularly noteworthy. This is reflected, for example, in the monitoring of various environmental aspects throughout the production process. Moreover, efficient cooperation throughout the organisation makes it possible to achieve this remarkable level of performance, especially within the context of an SME.
Due to circumstances related to Corona, finalist CBRE has decided to no longer participate in the competition. Therefore it has been decided not to host the Technical Team of The Year Award. However, the remaining finalist will receive an honourable mention, and can proudly present the merits of his team.
The ITIS Technical Team: Honourable mention
The technical team of ITIS counts 6 people who are very involved in the company. In recent years all involved, technicians were asked to think about ideas to make their work more safe and efficient. The management has chosen to work out most ideas depending on importance and cost for development.
imec Maintenance Team
The maintenance team at Imec has succeeded in implementing new systems in the day-to-day maintenance work. They also do in-house trainings, which are much appreciated. And: they no longer resist change. The result? The teamspirit is on an all-time high, they work more efficiently and are extremely motivated.
Award for Best Improvement in Maintenance and Asset Management
Saudi Aramco: Success Journey -Reliability Enhancement Program through Effective Leadership
Saudi Aramco faced issues with plant availability due to frequent failures and therefore, high costs. With the support from upper management, Saudi Aramco succeeded in implementing a comprehensive Reliability System (TPRM), improved the maintenance culture and thus, cut the costs.
Arlanxeo: Preventing unforeseen failures with the Motion Amplification camera
The main driver of this improvement project is the reliability of extruders in the finishing department. Thanks to a combination of Root Cause Analysis and the Motion Amplification Camera, Arlanxeo can now get to the roots of unpredictable failures.
Maintenance Manager of the Year
- 2017 - Maxine Frimpong & Ann Van Look - BASF Antwerpen
- 2016 - Bert Pieters - PepsiCo Veurne
- 2015 - Abdellah Azzin & Paul Coring - GSK Waver
- 2014 - Claude Schuler - SONACA Gosselies
- 2013 - Marc Begijn - Volvo Car Gent
- 2012 - Harold Villers - ArcelorMittal Liège - Site Marchin
- 2011 - Frédéric Deleuze - CBR - Heidelberg Cement Group
- 2010 - François Depelsenaire - NGK Ceramics Europe
- 2009 - Erwin Bovyn - SPE-Luminus
- 2008 - Jan Vanbroekhoven - Philips Innovative Applications
- 2007 - Pasquale Sinapi - Caterpillar Belgium
- 2006 - Herman Aerts - Borealis
- 2005 - Benoît Noël - Industeel
- 2004 - Guido Aerts - Exxon Mobil Chemical Belgium
- 2003 - Jos Grosfils - DSM Speciality Compounds
- 2002 - Erik Creemers - Fina Antwerp Olefins
- 2001 - Hans De Backker - Janssen Pharmaceutica
- 2000 - Wout Theuws - Bosal Benelux
- 1999 - Robert Vander Putten - Schneider Electric
- 1998 - Daniël Vandendaul - Baxter